Sunday, April 3, 2011

Iron Mountain Hill Training

Jeff took us on an awesome training session today! It was all about hills....and more hills....and then some more to finish off with.

A good group on the bike ride with 5 of us out today - Barrie, Lucy, Jeff, Nigel, and Scott (Scott took the photo)

Food (Breakfast): I have to eat before a workout but need something that works with the stomach. I've been drinking chocolate protein shakes for breakfast every day with milk that seem to be filled with protein and plain for the stomach. I chased it up with a peanut butter and jelly sandwich on the drive to the meeting point.

BIKE
We started the morning at 7:45am with a bike ride. Jeff had us expecting a 40 miler but it ended up being 30 miles....but worth every mile with the hill workouts. Here are the stats for Nigel and I so we can compare.


We are pretty similar in our pacing, but behind the other guys. They are very good cyclists and leave us in awe of their mad skills.
Nigel has a crazy heart rate...but guess we each have a different rate and his is always 20 beats higher.

I do wonder why the GPS had a 300 foot difference between us? Same course, different watches...

Food: Been using the IronMan perform Restore drink mixed in with some Crystal light for flavor and seems to be working well. Had 2 bottles of that, and some Gu shot gels on the bike at mile 20 when we took a rest before the large uphill section. Worked well.


RUN
After the bike we like to practice a good transition run. And as we get closer to the Wildflower race, it's more important to simulate the race conditions. So a lovely hill run it was! Here's a photo so you can see we start on the trail and run switchbacks up the rocky trails to the top of the peak. It's a 3 mile hike each way....so not terrible....but it doesn't feel that way when you are looking up it!


Clothes: I tried a new tactic and changed my shorts over from the bike shorts to some non-padded shorts to run in. This will take extra time in the transition, but I need the padding for the long bike ride and do not want to run in them. I wore a 1-piece in the Olympic Superseal tri last weekend but it has no padding and I started to feel uncomfortable int he last mile. So padding needed for Wildflower.
I didn't change the shirt, simple layer of just the bike shirt worked well today, but likely plan to change on a longer race.

Back to Run
I was unsure how to approach this with the IT band / knee issues. Didn't want to create an injury, but also need to get some hill running in. And have to learn how to push through it, as just seems like it's going to be there all year. I just have to adjust my pace expectations down to a fast walking pace now.

So here are the stats for Nigel and I. Nigel pulled in first, beating his last minute goal of being under 1:30 hours. I was over that time by a full 6 minutes (same time difference in the tri last weekend) and knee was harsh for the last mile. uuuurrrggghh!


Food: I didn't bring a run belt or backpack so kept the carry on light. I took 1 bottle of water and drank a good bottle before the start of run. I also kept n the bike top to use the back pouches for a Stinger honey energy gel and Pomegranate chews (shared both with Nigel). Ate the chews for the final burst to the top and the stinger gel at the top as a breather with the water before heading down. Felt tired on the last 1 mile, but otherwise energy level good.

Took a little photo at the top to prove we made it!

No comments:

Post a Comment