Saturday, January 29, 2011

Back to the Island

After one of "those weeks" with sickness, travel, and crazy work...it was fitting to go back to training at the island.

Not some crazy "Lost" style where time warps, ghost whisperers, and Zulus occur....but instead the crowd of bikers, bikers, fishing, dog walkers, runners, and did I mention bikers??

BTW the "island" is more commonly known as Fiesta Island, but that just sounds boring compared to the crazy Lost style island ...

Our crazy training group sent out the call of "6am meet and ride for 2:30 hours at 20mph pace"
I read the call and said "heck no!!" mainly due to the 6am start. I've had a couple of nights this week with 2 hours sleep a night (I was in Las Vegas, 'nuff said) so even 2 extra hours was going to make me a much nicer person to be around...

Arrived at the glorious hour of 8:30am and instead of the cold fog we got beautiful sunshine and light winds. Mmm perfect

Here's me ready to ride out the pace ride today...aiming for 17mph.



Gorgeous day, put music on, focused on my cadence at 90+ and speed above 17mph and the technique of a smooth pedal stroke.

Result: 41.2 miles, 2:29 hours, 1300 calories, 158 bpm, avg speed 17.0mph

Felt good most of ride, glad my heart rate is coming down. Drinking Accelerade, 2 bottles, and 1 water. Ate some powerbar and gels but found my stomach was churning towards last 30 minutes of ride....more food?!?!?

Finished with the traditional T-run on the small loop of the island.

Result: 2.5 miles, 9:38 min pace, 350 calories, 168bpm

Uurrgh, have a way to go on my running...but at least I ran the whole time. My mind and body screamed to walk, but I'm training to think more positive about my capabilities and said "you can slow down but you must stay running" and today it worked.

Good Job Me!!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment