Monday, December 13, 2010

How did I get here?

Everyone has a story for why they signed up, some are noble, some are not. I can't claim the noble route, but maybe you'll forgive me for it and keep reading.

I moved to San Diego in 2009 and thought my life and career was over. I was in a severe depression and was lucky to have seen January 1st 2009. The year went by in a fog and I only managed to just take 1 day at a time. Wake up, put clothes on, go to work, eat food, go to sleep. Repeat.

The year 2010 arrived and from all the help I received I was starting to be aware of life around me. I was overweight with an extra 20lbs from 2009 and everyone in San Diego was active....it was time to get out into the world.

I was doing the traditional web surfing and talking with colleagues and re-found adventure racing, something I dabbled in a few years back. I found this night orienteering hike class and signed myself and my husband up. Had a fun time and the leader, Barrie, mentioned he had a Wednesday night hiking group.

The Wednesday hiking group turned my life around. It was always a great workout (the hikes are 3 hours in all weather), with a touch of adventure (if a critter once walked here then it's a trail), and a great set of people that come and go over time.

The people all share their stories and with the hiking theme it soon becomes talk about adventure races, triathlons, and ironman races.

Suffice to say after 10 months of these Wednesday night hikes, I've done 1 triathlon, 5 adventure races, and signed up for 1 Ironman!

So that's how I got here....planning ahead for the year 2011.

BTW - my adventure races are all typed up as race reports on my 'other' blog (yes I am one of those people...just trying to keep audiences clear)
It's mixed in with my geocaching hobby too.

www.geocachefanatic.com

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment