Monday, June 20, 2011

It had to happen eventually....

Well, I guess it had to happen eventually...

I joined a group bike ride at the weekend for a "Vineman Simulator" that was a 40 mile bike ride on fairly flat elevation and on the Penninsula, so getting some good heat to practice in.

A good turnout with 9 people...I tend to say hello to folks at the start and that's it...never see them again as at the back.

But it had to happen eventually....

I was NOT at the back of the group. In fact I was one of the front runners. Woo hoo!

After finishing the 40 miles, I even went and added another 15 miles to get a time trial section in and push up my heart rate and get some pace in.

What a great feeling! I must be getting better! P90x and Coach Troy workouts are helping me get my biking legs in better shape.

The bike ride was a great area to bike more often - I'm noting the 40 mile loop we did, and could use this as a 80 mile double loop practice session. Plus it was chock full of bikers everywhere....crazy in some places! There were 3 groups of pelaton racers...they just ride and cross the road with not attempt to stop. Scary stuff!


Heat was good at 70's temperature. The next day the weather turned to 90's so I was lucky in one respect for some cooler weather. But I also missed out on a true Vineman simulator..where temps are expected in high 90's. Sweating just thinking about it....

Now I need to focus on building some mileage. This weekend I have a 68 mile group ride planned...my longest ride yet..but with only 5 weeks to go to the 112 mile Vineman, gotta make it happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment