Sunday, June 12, 2011

San Diego Swimming

Took a little R&R trip back to San Diego....I had forgotten how gorgeous the weather is! Sunny and in the 70's.
Without bikes and unable to run, the weekend workout focus was swim, swim, swim! Oh and sleep sleep sleep....how glorious sleep is in my home with the sounds of nature and water around me...

Saturday
Swam 1 mile in the Santa Clara point in Mission Bay. Open water swim in the wet suit.
It was a terrible swim...which is great for practice!
I had not swam for 6 weeks, since the wildflower race, and knew I wouldn't be great.
But I had thought with all the p90x workouts that have push-ups, pull-ups, bands, triceps etc....that my arms were stronger and therefore my swimming would show improvement.

Hmmm...not the case.

I felt slow and heavy. The wet suit just felt tight and uncomfortable from the word go. My hair came free from the cap and kept getting caught in the wet suit, ripping my hair as I turned my head to breathe. My 5th set of goggles still have not solved my eye-leaking problem, and I swallowed about 1 gallon of super salty sea water making me dry-retch away a few times.
I didn't have a watch of anything but it was easily over 1 hour. So not really a great time.
1 gallon of sea water swallowed today.....dry retch alert!

A great practice!!! AND a reminder I can't make excuses about not having swimming in my workout schedule....

Sunday
The second swim was in the pool. I had a great endurance workout I did a while back and looked to repeat that one, completing 2,650 meters today. It's a great combo workout of drills for 1 arms, legs, pulls, kicks, and step-function length drills.
Total time was 1.5 hours for the full distance of 1.5 miles. Not speedy compared tot he fast swimmers, but last time it took me 2 hours for the workout with an extra 400m...so suggests some small improvements here.

Nigel has suddenly turned into a fish...so my competitive drive is also kicking into gear here. He has me down pat for the run with a bum knee, I've got a small gap in the bike, but thought we were equal for the swim, and now I see a large gap emerging here....so have to step it up!

VineMan - The upcoming AquaBike Race
I took a look at the course for the July 30th race I signed up for, to keep me propelling forward and not to get lazy (i.e. the swim weekend kicked me back into gear for swimming!)
How interesting this course is...in the Russian river with a warm temp of 72-76 degrees and the average water depth is 4-7 feet. i heard people stand up and walk when they get tired....that will be a new experience!

With 6 weeks to go for this race, I think I'll find a future weekend to go and do a short practice in this river...

No comments:

Post a Comment