Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Ride your dreams

I'm always looking for people to ride with for my long rides. I really miss having my gang to ride with...they knew me and my strengths and we were on the same path together towards IronMan...so we were building up the same pace and distance together.

So I keep trying out new workout groups to meet people...this past weekend it was a ride of 67 miles that had little elevation (1300 feet) and it was also in support of a charity drive called "Ride Your Dreams Everyday"



I met this amazing guy called Henry that had both of his parents die from cancer and vowed to set up a foundation one day to help others with the same disease. He suddenly got to a point in life where he said "now is the time" and 7 weeks ago he decided to bike 4,000 miles across the country, collecting donors for the national registry along the way.
This ride was the kick-off for the trip and a group of us helped see him off proper. What a cold start to the day..you can see the Golden Gate Bridge in the background (just!).
Seeing off Henry on his 4,000 mile adventure
Thankfully the weather got warmer the further North we biked. The planned route was below at a 2,000 elevation climb for the trip and a straight out and back route. I chose this route because of the elevation gain being low, due to my knee being a little less functional on hill climbs....

The original ride


Side Note: Knee update - went to a orthopedic doctor, had X-rays and a review and looked like definitely a tight IT band on the top left side, but also trying to diagnose the high pain that hits. X-Ray said might be a stress fracture and the doctor pushed hard in a spot making me yell out in pain. An MRI is planned this week for more information.

Back to the bike ride...

We stopped at Point Reyes town for lunch and had a long break sitting in the sunshine. At this point we split off from Henry so he could continue on his quest...100 miles a day for 40 days is a big quest and I wish him well.

Our group turned back but I soon realized that we were going a different way back. The view was beautiful as we rode around the beach areas...but uh-oh we hit Stinson Beach and the group pointed at the VERY large hill and said "it's a steep 3 mile climb". Hmmm... not good as the knee was already in pain.

The actual ride

I was super lucky that the support car for Henry drove by. Why? They had forgotten an item back in San Francisco and were en route to pick it up. I flagged it down and got a lift to the top of the hill. Phew...crisis averted! More riding and then a flat...man was my luck out today.

Got back after a heft 8 hours out on the field. It was 4:41 hours of biking and somehow it turned into 8 hours of biking...that is a LONG LONG day!

Total Details
Hours             8 hours
Hours Biking   4:41 hours
Mileage           67 miles (skipped those middle 3 thank goodness)
MPH               14.2 mph average (good with lots of hills I guess)

No comments:

Post a Comment