Monday, July 11, 2011

Swim, Bike, and Cough

So I was feeling slumpy in my workouts and found out 1 reason for this last weekend...

July 4th weekend, taking an extra day for a full 4 days away from work. Travelled to San Diego for some sunshine and all was well in the world.

Friday began with swimming in Sail Bay, the standard route of to the pier and back. The boys were done at 2 returns but I pushed for a 3rd to practice longer distance. I had thought it was only 0.5 miles return afterall...so a total of 1.5miles.
Decided to do a little google map action at home and found it was actually a total of 2.2miles!!! Wicked! I was nervous before as the total time was 1:30 hours with some decent rests and was starting to panic that I wouldn't be able to complete the 2.4 mile swim at Vineman on July 30th in time at that pace...but sighed a relief when saw I was at 2.2 miles. Phew!

Saturday was the long bike ride. Rented a tri bike from Nytro (sweet bike and cool to try a different type out) and did the long slow ride on PCH (pacific coast highway).
Did the first 20 miles with our biking crew to fiesta island, and then we turned back for the rest of our ride.
I could tell I was coming down with something and it came through in being massive hungry. Kept eating my bike food (kind bar, chews, carb drink) but had the urge for REAL food. In-n-out burger loomed and decided to get a good burger and fries in to fuel the remaining 50 miles.
Did feel a bit strange sitting eating a burger in our bike gear...

The ride overall was amazing, gorgeous views of the beach, sand, palm trees, and all the people watching.

Halfway at 47 miles I learnt what it was like to bonk. No energy whatsoever. I sat down at Nytro and tried to eat - body said "hell no". Same with drinking. it was hot but I didn't feel overheated, just completely drained.

Long rest for over 20 minutes, eventually gig food and drink down. Then back on the bike North up to Oceanside.

Gorgeous!!! Palm trees galore that just inspired you to ride 1 more mile to see more...

When we returned back to Nytro the clock said 74 miles...and we really wanted to see an 8 at the front so carried on for a 6 mile loop.

Total distance 80.1 miles, time 6:25 riding, 8:00 hours total with rests and photos etc...

So Swim, Bike, Cough...

Sunday - felt like I got hit by a truck!! Couldn't move for the soreness in my chest. My legs felt fine so no issues from the ride, just overall completely whacked.

5 days of being out for the count with a chest cold. Worst sickness for a while...

So my tri turned into a different set from the expected...
Swim, Bike, and Cough


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Location:San Diego

No comments:

Post a Comment