Sunday, June 24, 2012

This Week - Finding my Current Pace

Week 2 into the training zone and ensure I'm getting a good mix of exercise with yoga, swimming, biking, running, and weights for strength training.

Needed to determine what my baseline measurements were to track and see improvements towards goals.

Bike

Conducted a couple of workouts at home - based on power threshold and technique. Then repeated a prior workout in Napa - Silverado Trail. Great place to do a time trial as its non-stop road.

Was impressed at the improvements. And eager to improve!

Comparing the workouts
  • Pace is faster at 17.2 mph vs 17.0 mph (need to now see how much I can click this up in 8 weeks)
  • Heart rate is MUCH lower at 160 bpm vs 171 - meaning I am much more efficient in my production and use of energy. (still have 10 lbs weight to lose to help here....but greats start!)
  • Bike cadence now added to my garmin - and the average of 89 cadence is right on target with my 90 goal.
  • Average Power was 137 watts - first time trying to use this and determine how I stand here. My distribution shows I was using the right zones for the time trial but will need to lower for endurance training rides.




Run

Running is not my favorite thing - mainly because I'm nervous about getting injured here and not being able to compete. I spent a few months last year with little running and focused on biking.

I've done a couple of t-runs from the bike rides of 1-3 miles and pace was decent. But needed to see how the pace would hold up on a longer run.

Golden Gate Park with some friends on a lovely sunny day - nice!

Baseline data was good - average pace at 9:33 min/miles - and avg Heart rate at 162 bpm.

This is definitely promising for me to get to a 9:30 pace for a marathon - with smart training and good nutrition (another area to get going on)




feeling good after this data! 8 more weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment